Monday, July 7, 2014

Just One Thing by Holly Jacobs ~ My Review


Just One Thing by Holly Jacobs 

Publication Date: June 10th, 2014 
Publisher: Montlake Romance 
Pages: 186 
Received: an e-copy from the publisher for my honest review. 
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars





 
I really enjoyed Just One Thing! It was a reflective story of loss, grief, anger, finding yourself and finding love again in the process. From the book blurb, I thought Just One Thing was going to be more of a lighthearted contemporary romance, but I would categorize it as women’s fiction.

Every Monday night Lexie Morrow walked down to the bar for just one beer, then she would walk back home. For months, Lexie kept to herself. Then one night, Sam the bartender started asking her to share just one thing before he would serve her a drink. She began sharing small things at first, like just her name, but as the weeks wore on she started sharing deeper stuff about herself. It was freeing. Oh, sometimes it was hard and sometimes she couldn't finish, but Sam didn’t push. Mondays became very important to Lexie, and she slowly unraveled her story, and she began to heel. 

Eventually, Lexie started asking Sam the same question and he began sharing bits and pieces of his life. While serving our country, Sam was severely injured. Waking up in the hospital, he had to learn to walk again. Having battled with depression and PTSD, Sam has an interesting story also.

It’s a story about learning to stop focusing on what could have been, or what you could have done, but to enjoy the fullness of life, remembering the good and the bad. To quote the author, Holly Jacobs, “a person’s life can’t be defined by one incident.”

I like how the story was told. Lexie would begin to tell Sam something about herself or her family and the story would then flashback to that time. I like when a story takes you back to the past and you see what happened rather than being told that it happened.

Even though, this isn’t a story I would normally read, I really liked Just One Thing. It held my interest while I cried with Lexie and laughed with Sam. I had to know all of Lexie’s story.

Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of the book for my honest review. 

Buy from Amazon 
Add to goodreads

Disclaimer: Link to Amazon. Should you purchase a copy of the book through the link, I will receive a small commission. Thanks.

Connect to Holly Jacobs



Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...