Monday, August 22, 2016

The Last Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel by Jack Caldwell ~ My Review


The Last Adventure of the Scarlet Pimpernel by Jack Caldwell

Publication Date: August 1st, 2016 
Publisher: White Soup Press 
Pages: 355 
Received: E-copy from the author for my honest opinion. 
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars





I enjoyed reading The Last Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel! It's a companion to The Three Colonels, but it can also stand-alone - which is good because I haven’t read the first yet! (note to self - must read!)

In The Last Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel, we find Captain Tilney (of Northanger Abbey) in love with Violet Blakeney - the daughter of Sir Percy, AKA the Scarlet Pimpernel; a fact that Captain Tilney is not aware of. Sir Percy is very protective of Violet. He doesn’t think Tilney is worthy of her, and with Tilney's past behaviors, Sir Percy has every right to feel that way. But love has a way of changing a man. Now Captain Tilney must work hard to prove his worth. Unfortunately, nothing seems to go well for poor Tilney! Will he ever be with his beloved Violet?

When The Pimpernel is forced out of retirement by an enemy he thought was long dead, Tilney insists on helping. Will Sir Percy accept his help and see what a good man he truly is?

I felt so bad for Tilney when everyone and everything seemed to be against him! Sure, his past is sprinkled in reckless and rakish behavior, but falling in love with Violet made him want to be a better person. Even when he thinks all chances to be with Violet are gone, he strives to be better. 

I loved Sir Percy and his wife, Lady Blakeney. I loved seeing them together; still madly in love after so many years! It was beautiful to see. 

Having not read The Three Colonels I didn’t know the correlation between the characters from that book, but I did love seeing the characters from Jane Austen’s books working and interacting together! It was fabulous!

Also, I have not read The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy either. I wish I had. I have nothing to compare Caldwell's Pimpernel to, except for watching the movie, but I would love to read it now! 

The Last Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel is a terrific book!  Easy to read (historical facts were smoothly written into the storyline), with some excitement, danger, and romance! I would recommend it to any Austen fan!

FTC Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of this book from the author for my honest review.

Buy: Amazon • B&N
Add to Goodreads.

FTC Disclaimer: Link to Amazon. I am an Amazon Associate. Should you purchase a copy of the book through the link provided, I will receive a small commission. Thanks!


Connect with Jack Caldwell


Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!

6 comments:

  1. This is very near the top of my to buy list, looking forward to reading it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will also at this to my list, which is getting longer and longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Elaine! I know what you mean! My list keeps getting longer too. - It's an up hill battle!

      Delete
  3. Already on my wish list b/c I love Jack's books and was well-enamored with The Three Colonels (yes, you really want to get that one.) Want to read this one even more after reading your thoughts. Thanks, Candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sophia Rose! I have 'The Three Colonels' on my Kindle, and someday I will get to it!! Lol! I hope you enjoy TLAOTSP, although I'm pretty sure you will. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...