Monday, March 14, 2022

Daughter by Kate McLaughlin ~ My Review

Hello, my friends! I'm posting my review of Daughter by Kate McLaughlin. I was lucky enough to get an e-ARC of the book for my honest review. 



Daughter
A Novel
by Kate McLaughlin

Publication Date: March 8th, 2022
Publisher: St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books
Pages: 336
Received: From the publisher via Netgalley.
Rating: 4 stars

Book Description 

Scarlet’s life is pretty average. Overly protective mom. Great friends. Cute boy she’s interested in. And a father she’s never known – until she does. 

When the FBI show up at Scarlet’s door, she is shocked to learn her father is infamous serial killer Jeffrey Robert Lake. And now, he’s dying and will only give the names and locations of his remaining victims to the one person, the daughter he hasn’t seen since she was a baby. 

Scarlet’s mother has tried to protect her from Lake’s horrifying legacy, but there’s no way they can escape the media firestorm that erupts when they come out of hiding. Or the people who blame Scarlet for her father’s choices. When trying to do the right thing puts her life in danger, Scarlet is faced with a choice – go back into hiding or make the world see her as more than a monster’s daughter. 

Kate McLaughlin’s Daughter is a novel about trying right deadly choices that were never yours to begin with.
 
My Review

In Daughter: A Novel, Scarlet Murphy, aka Brittany Lake, finds out she’s the daughter of the infamous serial killer Jeff Lake.

Fifteen years earlier, Scarlet’s mom divorced Lake, changed her name, and disappeared with her two-year-old daughter. Now Jeff Lake is dying in a prison hospital, and he says he is willing to give up the names and locations of his other victims, but only to his daughter.

That would be so crazy to find out that you are the daughter of a serial killer - and not in a good way!

When I first heard about Daughter, I was intrigued and knew I had to read it! It was excellent and kept me engaged. Although, it did go in a different direction than I thought it would. The romance in the story surprised me (because something like this would turn your life upside down), but I was glad Scarlet had someone to talk to who liked her for who she was and not because of her father.

Scarlet was courageous for facing Jeff Lake. She really wanted to help the other families, and I like the creative ways she was going about that and trying to take the spotlight off Lake and onto the forgotten victims. 

It is a YA novel, so not overly graphic, but there is drinking, drug use, sex, and foul language.

FTC Disclaimer: I received an ARC of the story from the publisher for my honest review.


Buy: Amazon (paid link)
Add to Goodreads

FTC Disclaimer: Link to Amazon. I am an Amazon Associate. Should you purchase a copy of the book through the link provided, I will receive a small commission. Thanks! 



I am finding that I'm really getting into mysteries and thrillers! What about you?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, yes that would be a crazy discovery to make. I'm curious now, too. Thanks for putting it on my radar, Candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sophia Rose! Oh man, it would be so crazy! You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it if you do read it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...