Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu ~ My Review



The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu 

Publication Date: June 3, 2014 
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press 
Pages: 208 
Received: ARC e-copy from publisher, via NetGalley 
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars






Rumors... It’s amazing how quickly rumors spread and grow. Especially in a small town where everyone knows your business. It started with a rumor of Alice sleeping with two guys at a party, which is bad enough, but when one of the guys (Brandon), who also happens to be the star quarterback of the football team, is killed in an automobile accident, Alice is blamed for that too. Soon there are more rumors. Alice has gone from being semi-popular to trash. That’s what happen to Alice... and only a few people know The Truth About Alice.

I loved how this story unfolds. Told from the point of view of four key people, Eliane [the popular (mean) girl], Kelsie [Alice's (supposed) best-friend], Josh [Brandon's best friend] and Kurt [nerdy boy-genius, also Brandon's neighbor]. The truth is slowly revealed as they tell their story, more like clear their conscience, to only the reader. These are secrets about themselves that they would never tell anyone else.

It’s a pretty quick read, and I was able to finish it the same day I started. It was hard to put down. I had to know what happens to Alice! We do finally hear from Alice, and I found the ending very touching!

The Truth About Alice shows how damaging rumors can be and even though they weren’t physically bullying Alice, they were definitely emotionally bullying her. My heart went out to Alice. I think it would be a great read for older teens. Some of the subject matter might be too mature for some younger teens and tweens.

I really enjoyed reading The Truth About Alice! It is a fast-paced, emotional read! This is Jennifer Mathieu’s debut novel, and I hope to read more from her!

Disclaimer: I received an e-copy from the publisher, via NetGalley for my honest review.

Buy a copy: Amazon • B&N

Add to goodreads.


Connect with Jennifer Mathieu


Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...