Monday, June 3, 2013

Review: Rosings by Karen Aminadra

Rosings by Karen Aminadra

Release Date: May 1, 2013
Sold by: Amazon Digital Service, Inc.
Pages: 197 
Received: e-copy from author 
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars






 

I was looking forward to reading Karen Aminadra’s new book, Rosings. I enjoyed her first book, Charlotte, where I actually came to LIKE Mr. Collins. Rosings is a continuation of Charlotte and focuses in on Anne De Bourgh. I’ve always felt sorry for Anne. I knew she was not suited for Mr. Darcy, and I’ve always suspected her mother is responsible for Anne’s poor health.

Since Darcy is now married to Elizabeth, Lady Catherine decides it’s time to find a husband for Anne. She goes about it by inviting several eligible bachelors to Rosings for a visit. According to Lady Catherine, Anne must choose one of the men and encourage him to ask for her hand in marriage. 

I was surprised and angry with Lady Catherine! Her fear of losing Anne to an illness or accident has been part of the reason she has been so oppressive to Anne. If she is worried about losing Anne, how can she marry her off to a man she doesn’t know much about, other than his title and wealth? Doesn’t she understand, in doing so she would lose Anne and control over Rosings? Foolish woman!

Poor Anne! I could really feel for her. She is much stronger than she appears, but she is terrified of Lady Catherine. She is afraid to stand up to her. Anne is miserable trapped inside the walls of Rosings. She loves her mother, but wants a future, and a happy one at that. How is she ever going to get away from Lady Catherine? And what will happen to her if she is forced into a loveless marriage?

Something that bothered me in this story was the use of first names. Anne just met these men, and they are calling her Anne! Not Miss de Bourgh as they should be. She is also calling them by their first names! Even the new vicar is calling her Anne. As far as I know, this was not done unless you were engaged. 

I did like the new vicar, James Watkins and his father, Henry Watkins. They were very helpful to Anne. I enjoyed Lady Catherine and Henry Watkins's growing friendship. 

I wanted to like this story, but along with what I’ve already mentioned, I would have liked to see the ending played out a little more. Anne does have her happy ending, and Lady Catherine does a complete one-eighty, but it happens all too fast. I just didn't see Lady Catherine changing her way of thinking so fast. It felt too rushed. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the book for me.

I received an e-copy of the book for my honest review.


Buy a copy at Amazon.


Connect with Karen Aminadra:

twitter
facebook
goodreads author page
website


Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one more. I haven't read it. I have varying feelings about Anne. Sometimes I feel bad for her, sometimes not, and I just want her to tell her mother to shut up and get out lol. Was this Lady C eager to see her married so she'd go live with her husband elsewhere & Lady C would still be mistress of Rosings (even though it technically belongs to Anne?) or did she just not really care anymore because it wasn't Darcy? If Anne doesn't have a child to pass it on to then I'm pretty sure Her Ladyship would be out in the hedgerows lol.

    I'm glad Anne got a happy ending at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica! haha! I've always wanted someone to tell Lady C to shut up! ;) While I was reading this I kept wanting Anne to walk out - to get away from Rosings and her crazy mother!! I didn't really understand Lady C's motives. I mean as long as she is alive and Anne's under her control, wouldn't she be able to stay at Rosings and run it. I would think if a man would get his hands on it, he would have control. Unless it was someone like Col F, or another family member who would tolerate her behavior. I don't know. I couldn't wrap my head around it.

      The first name thing really drove me crazy, maybe it won't bother you. If you read it, I would like to know what you think!

      Delete
  2. Very helpful review, Candy! I don't know about you, but I find it especially hard to write reviews like this! But reviews, like yours, are helpful for readers who might be on the fence about a certain book.

    The cover is exquisite though - love that teal green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith! It is hard to write a review like this. I don't want to hurt feelings - after all a book is an author's baby.

      I really like the cover too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...