Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Thorn and the Blossom By Theodora Goss


     I have to say what a cool book this is! And I'm not talking about just the story! The book itself is not like any other I've ever seen. It has an accordion-fold binding, so, no solid binding. The story is written from two points of view. You could read Evelyn's story first, then when you're done you close the book and open it again and begin reading Brendan's story. You could begin with Brendan's story first, the choice is yours. It's awesome!
     The story itself is very well done. It's a tale of eternal love. Two modern day persons that are both wrapped up or connected in the legend of Elowen, Queen of Cornwall and Gawan, a Knight of the Roundtable. Like the lovers of the legend, it seems Evelyn and Brendan are cursed, also. 
     Evelyn, needing to get away before flying back home to the States, decides to go for a week to Clews. There she meets Brendan and he introduces her to the legend of Elowen and Gawan. Never forgetting each other, their paths cross again but secrets threaten to keep them apart. Will timing ever be right for them?
     The two separate stories are short, so it’s a quick read. I would have loved more but I don’t think it would have worked for the design of this book. The interesting thing is, after reading one story it didn’t feel complete, I had to read both stories to feel satisfied.  I now wonder how it would have been to read it in a different order than I had.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars.



Available on Amazon.


How cool is that?!

I won my copy from A Word's Worth.

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. You have me intrigued, Candy. What an interesting concept to have the book accordion style and with both POVs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jakki! I love to show it to people. They are amazed when they hold it in their hands!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...