Monday, September 26, 2011

Mr. Darcy's Proposal by Susan Mason-Milks



I always enjoy spending time with Darcy and Elizabeth.  I especially like reading variations. This Pride and Prejudice variation begins in Hunsford, right before Darcy proposes to Elizabeth.  Before he gets to the parsonage to propose, she receives a letter from Jane explaining that her father is seriously ill.  He is not expected to live much longer and Jane pleads for her to come home quickly.  In her distress, Elizabeth tells Darcy, who then offers her the use of his carriage. She questions why he would want to help since he doesn’t like her.  She goes on to tell him she knows how he interfered with Jane and Bingley. This surprises him, he doesn’t propose and decides to try to change her opinion of him.  
Darcy follows her to Hertfordshire bringing Bingley with him. He proposes to her there, stating that he can help her and her family in the event of her fathers death. After thinking about his offer she decided to take him up on it.  It is understandably, an unhappy time for Elizabeth.
After Mr. Bennet’s death, Darcy and Elizabeth go to Pemberley, where many misunderstandings begin. I must say, I was getting a little frustrated with how long it was taking for them to begin understanding one another. When they finally resolve their differences it is very good!
Overall, I really enjoyed reading Mr. Darcy's Proposal. I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

Buy a copy of Mr. Darcy's Proposal here.

Let me know what you think!  I'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. Another great review, Candy! I can't wait to start reading it. I just hope the frustration of all the misunderstandings doesn't take away from the book too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jakki! It won't, it's still a good book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review! It occurred to me that if you were frustrated with how long it took Darcy and Elizabeth to begin to understand each other, just think how they felt! To me, what the characters don't say to each other is almost more important than what they do say. That's one of the things that fascinates me about the Regency period. In the modern world, we're so used to being open and saying whatever we're thinking (sometimes a little too much) that we forget it hasn't always been this way. I think the fact that Darcy and Elizabeth take so long to finally understand each other (and themselves) makes it all the sweeter when they finally do get together.
    At the moment, I am listening to P&P on audio because I often hear things I miss when reading. It's given me some new insights into characters and ideas for future stories. BTW - my favorite reader for P&P is Emilia Fox who played Georgiana in the 1995 mini series.
    Thanks again for reading and reviewing Mr. Darcy's Proposal.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I had never thought about that before, it would have been even more frustrating not to be able to be open, to say how you are feeling. And yes, it was even sweeter when they finally got together! :)

    I love this! I learn so much from you writers just reading stories I adore.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...