Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Haunting Mr. Darcy by KaraLynne Mackrory ~ My Review


Haunting Mr. Darcy by KaraLynne Mackrory 

Publication Date: March 17th, 2014 
Publisher: Meryton Press 
Pages: 286 
Received: paperback from the author for my honest review. 
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars



~ A Spirited Courtship ~

 
I loved Haunting Mr. Darcy! It’s a delightful retelling of Pride and Prejudice with a mashing of one of my favorite movies, Just Like Heaven with Reese Witherspoon.

The story begins on New Year's Eve in London, and Darcy has struggled since November, after leaving Netherfield, to rid Elizabeth from his thoughts. On the look out for a wife, Darcy makes a New Years wish to end his search and then at the end of the wish adds, “and to see Elizabeth one last time.” That same night the Bennet’s are at the New Year’s Eve Assembly in Meryton. Jane, still suffering from the effects of Bingley’s sudden removal from Netherfield, was not feeling well, she and Elizabeth left the assembly early. One the way home, blaming Darcy for Jane’s unhappiness, Elizabeth makes her own wish, “for Mr. Darcy to want something he cannot have!” Before reaching Longbourn, the carriage slides off the road and tips over. Elizabeth hits her head and slips into a coma.

The fun begins when Elizabeth’s spirit leaves her body and she finds herself unknowingly in Mr. Darcy’s library. She thinks she is having a lovely dream in a room filled with a great many amazing books! Darcy, who has fallen asleep in the next room, wakes to the sound of Lizzy’s voice and laughter. When they come face to face, they both think they are dreaming and have a very candid conversation. Only this is a dream either of them can shake. There seems to be an invisible barrier that surrounds Darcy, and Elizabeth is confined to that area. Everywhere that Darcy goes Elizabeth follows. Tethered together. 

I loved the humor in this story! There are so many funny moments when Darcy is having a conversation with someone, like Bingley, and Elizabeth is making comments that only Darcy can hear and he has to keep a straight face and make no comments back!  Another time, while sneaking about, Darcy has to hide to keep from being spotted and Elizabeth hides too, but of course, nobody can see her. Darcy reminds her of this, and she responds by saying, “I am aware of it, sir, but this is more fun, is it not?”

My only complaint about the story is how closely it followed Just Like Heaven's storyline. I knew how they were going to get out of their predicament. Still, I enjoyed the story because of the cultural and social differences of the time period, and, as a result, Elizabeth and Darcy had other obstacles to maneuver. 

Haunting Mr. Darcy is a humorous and sweet retelling of Pride and Prejudice! I would highly recommend reading it!

Disclaimer: I received a paperback of the book for my honest review. 



Connect with KaraLynne Mackrory


Amazon • goodreads 


Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! 

4 comments:

  1. Great review!! I already Know about this novel and I want to Read it but now is impossible to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chiara! I hope you get a chance to read it soon. I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. I am about to start this! Glad you enjoyed it Candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceri! Ooh! I can't wait to see your thoughts! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...