Monday, December 15, 2014

Holidays with Jane ~ My Review

Holidays With Jane: Christmas Cheer 
by Jennifer Becton, Melissa Buell, Rebecca M. Fleming, Cecilia Gray, Jessica Grey, and Kimberly Truesdale 

Publication Date: October 28th, 2014 
Publisher: Indie Jane Press 
Pages: 374 
Received: E-copy from one of the authors. 
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars




 
I loved Holidays with Jane! All six of Jane Austen’s books are represented in these modern retellings! I found each to be very well written; short, but complete. It is so perfect for the holiday season, when you’re busy and really don’t have time to get involved in a full novel. I could curl up on my couch and read a story without worrying about staying up too late! Six modern retellings all wrapped up in a neat little package! 

The Work of an Instant by Jennifer Becton is perfect!! LOVED it! In this Persuasion retelling, Ms. Becton  did an excellent job modernizing Captain Wentworth’s letter! **sigh**  

Mischief and Mistletoe by Melissa Buell is a retelling of Northanger Abbey. Ms.Buell did a fabulous job dropping this into a modern setting as well. Cate (Catherine) is a seamstress in this version. As someone who sews, her creativity made me want to get out my needle and thread and do a little sewing myself! 

A Tale of Three Christmases by Rebecca M. Fleming is a touching story that is beautifully written. A retelling of Sense and Sensibility, it is told from Maggie's (Margaret Dashwood) POV.  After the death of her father she finds a journal left to her by him with instructions to write down the events of the next three Christmases. It was beautiful!

With Love, From Emma by Cecilia Gray, gave me the warm fuzzies!! Loved it! This, of course, is Emma and Lance's (Mr. Knightley) story. I enjoyed it as Emma reflects back through the past year, remembering different holidays, ending at Christmas.  This is a sigh-worthy story, and I savored it for a day or two in my mind!  

It’s a Wonderful Latte by Jessica Grey, is a retelling of Mansfield Park. Ms. Grey goes into a different direction when she does a little gender swapping, making Edmund a female character named Evie, who can’t see the love of a good friend (in this case, it’s not her cousin). It’s fun and magical as Jane Austen herself appears in this story!

Pride and Presents by Kimberly Truesdale. Ooh! I love Darcy in this one! Ms. Truesdale did an excellent job bring this to the present day, and when Elizabeth and Darcy finally get together...hhmmm....well, I got that warm fuzzy feeling all over, again! Lovely!

I really enjoyed how there are a few threads connecting each story in a small way. For example, you can find the characters from all the stories enjoying a cup of coffee from Mansfield Perk! You’ll also find Cate’s Creations being worn by a few of the ladies throughout the book. 

I loved Holidays with Jane! They are all cleverly done! I can’t tell you which story I loved most…I kind of fell in love with ALL of them! This is a must have for any Janeite!


FTC Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of the story from one of the authors for my honest review.

Buy: Amazon
Add: goodreads


FTC Disclaimer: Link to Amazon. I am an Amazon Associate. Should you purchase a copy of the book through the link provide, I will receive a small commission. Thanks! 


Connect with the Authors

Jennifer Becton ~ twitterwebsitefacebook
Melissa Buell ~ twitterwebsitetumblr • facebook
Rebecca M. Fleming ~ twitterwebsitefacebook
Cecilia Gray ~ twitterwebsitetumblr • facebook
Jessica Grey ~ twitterwebsitetumblr facebook 
Kimberly Truesdale ~ twitterwebsitetumblrfacebook


Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you! 

4 comments:

  1. Candy, this book sounds wonderful. I like collections of short stories, especially where there are links between them, but I don't seem to read them often, I'll have to try and catch this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceri! It is wonderful! I don't usually read short stories much either, but I was really glad I read this one.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the great review, Candy! Glad you enjoyed Holidays with Jane :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...